What is 192.168.1.1 IP Address
For the convenience of the first time users to configure their home networking devices like broadband routers and to provide a standard computing environment, most of the network hardware manufacturers like LinkSys, Netgear, Westell etc. use a default IP address 192.168.1.1 for accessing their devices.
All you need to do is to type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of your browser and just press enter. You will be able to configure all the settings of the Broadband router, with ease in your browser window.
IP 192.168.1.1 is a private IPv4 address and any computer, modem, router or any other internet devices can be configured using this IP 192.168.1.1 address. The limitation of this scheme is that this IP cannot be used on Internet and thus these devices cannot be configured through Internet. But the advantage of using a standard IP address is far more than the disadvantage.
Here is a video, which shows you the basics of router configuration of 192.168.1.1.
Video: 192.168.1.1 Router Admin Video
The above video explaining the 192.168.1.1 router configuration has been downloaded from Youtube and may be copyright protected. It is intended for explaining the basics of 192.168.1. routers and their working.
192.168.1.1 Router Security Tips
The broadband router connected to a private network is the gateway to the outside world. It can allow or deny the access to your network and unauthorized person can create lots of trouble to you. It is extremely important to give importance to the security of your router.
Here are some important tips, which you should keep in mind while configuring a broadband modem for your network security.
- Change Your Router SSID and Disable SSID Broadcast: Most of the broadband routers and modems use a common SSID, which is default and set within the firmware of the device. It is important to change it to something, which is not easily understandable by others. Besides this, it is very important that you disable the SSID broadcast so as to hide your wifi signal from nearby people. Although it does not provide you a robust security, but it is still important to prevent a casual hacker to access your 192.168.1.1 router.
- Change the Router Password: As explained below in this post, most of the broadband routers come equipped with a default username and password, which is set within the firmware. It has been observed that many users do not care to change the password and keep the default password as it is. If you are one of them, then the first thing required is to change the password to something unique and strong, which is not easily guessable by anybody.
- Enable MAC Address Filtering: Every computer and networking device is assigned a unique MAC address, which identifies it from rest of the other devices. Most of the routers and modems allow MAC filtering, which means that you can program routers to allow only those devices to connect to it, which have their MAC addresses programmed into it. Find time to know the MAC address of all the devices you want to give access to and enter these MAC addresses to the setup of the router. This will ensure that other devices are not able to get the access of your 192.168.1.1 router.
- Enable Strong Encryption: Most of the wifi routers allow data encryption. It is important to configure your routers to use strong encryption while communicating with the connected devices. WEP encryption was a standard encryption protocol but nowadays it is considered to be a weak protocol. You need at least something like WPA encryption protocol.
- Enable Firewall Protection: And do not forget the old word. Robust firewalls are still the good line of defense for preventing unauthorized access.
How to Reset 192.168.1.1 Password
In case you have forgotten or lost your 192.168.1.1 router password, then you can try different combination of username passwords. In case, you are like most of other users, who do not bother to change the default login settings of the devices, then your choices can be …
- username: <admin< / password: <admin>
- username: <>/<admin>
- username: <admin>/<password>
In most cases, you will be able to retrieve the access. In case you are not able to do that, and you are not able to remember the lost password of 192.168.1.1, then the only option left is to use the hardware reset button on the router. Just remember to press the reset button for at least 30 seconds, otherwise the router may not be able to reset itself to the factory settings.
Once the router settings are reset, just use try to use the different username password combination we have described above.
The Default Password List of Most Routers
In case you have changed the default username and password of the Router, then there is no solution other than trying a hardware reset. But in case, you have not changed the password, then you can try to access the router by using a combination of password given below.
You can follow us on Google+.
How to Crack Passwords Series
Others Posts in the Series Include...
- 192.168.1.2 IP Address
- 192.168.1.226 IP Router-Password, Login, Admin Default Settings
- 192.168.1.225-IP Router Password, Login, Username Settings
- 192.168.0.50 IP-Router Password, Login and Admin Details
- 192.168.0.30 IP Address-Router Password, Login and Admin
- 192.168.62.1 IP Address-Router Password, Login, Admin and Details
- 192.168.11.1 IP Address-Router Password, Login, Admin and Details
- 192.168.100.1 IP Router Password – Login, Admin Details
- 192.168.8.1 IP Address – Router Password, Admin and Login Details
- 10.0.0.2 Admin - Default Password for 10.0.0.2 IP Router
- 10.0.0.1 Password - Default Password for Gateway Router - Netgear
- Recover or Find Lost 192.168.1.1 Router Password with RouterPassView
- 192.168.1.100 Password, Admin and Setup - Broadband Router
- 192.168.1.254 Router Password - Admin, Password List and Setup
- http://192.168.2.1 Belkin Router - Notes and Password List
- http://192.168.1.1 Router: Password, Admin List 192.168.|.|
- Forgot Wireless Router Password? Follow Me.
- Looking to Crack, Hack, Find Yahoo Email Password - Beware
- http://www.192.168.0.1 - Notes, Admin, Password
- How to Get Default Router Passwords - NetGear, LinkSys, DLink, Belkin or Others
- Searching on How to Crack Hotmail Password | Beware