Best Free Firewall for Computer Security – Comodo Firewall Review
This post is part of a series of articles, in which we are looking at some of the best free firewall applications available for personal use. For rest of the articles, you can visit the links given in the end of this post.
Firewall – An Essential Component of Your PC Security
A robust Firewall is an essential part of the security cover for your computers and networks. Basically, a firewall is a barrier to keep destructive forces away from your property. In fact, that’s why its called a firewall. Its job is similar to a physical firewall that keeps a fire from spreading from one area to the next.
It is like the front door of your house, without which, any outsider can enter your home without your permission. It ensures that only authorized persons, software and applications, who have been given the authority to access various segments of your system, can do so.
How Firewalls Protect Your PC Security
For home users, firewalls work in a simpler manner as compared to corporate firewalls. The main goal of a personal firewall is to protect your personal computer and private network from malicious mischief. Malware, malicious software, is the primary threat to your home computer. Viruses are often the first type of malware that comes to mind. A virus can be transmitted to your computer through email or over the Internet and can quickly cause a lot of damage to your files. Other malware includes Trojan horse programs and spyware. These programs are usually designed to acquire your personal information for the purposes of identity theft of some kind.
There are two ways a firewall can prevent this from happening. It can allow all traffic to pass through except data that meets a predetermined set of criteria, or it can prohibit all traffic unless it meets a predetermined set of criteria.
Comodo Firewall – Best Free Firewall for your Computer
Most of the security suites of today include a firewall within themselves. If you are using a good quality Internet Security suite like Kaspersky, then Firewall is an integral part of it. But in case, you are using a standalone copy of Antivirus or Antispyware, then you can take a look at some of the good Freeware Firewall applications.
Comodo’s award-winning firewall provides users with prevention-based PC protection that slams the door shut on viruses, malware, and hackers.
Comodo’s Firewall is often rated to be one of the best Free Firewall available today. And the latest version of Comodo Free Firewall boasts of a unique features with the name Default Deny Protection (DDP™).
Features of Comodo Firewall – The Best Free Firewall
- Default Deny Protection™: Makes sure that only known PC-safe applications execute
- Prevention-based security: Stops viruses and malware before they access your computer…so it isn’t too late to stop them.
- Auto Sandbox Technology™: The sandbox is a virtual operating environment for untrusted programs – ensuring viruses and other malicious software are completely isolated from the rest of your computer
- Personalized alerts: Firewall remembers which software is allowed to operate and changes its alerts accordingly.
- Cloud based Behavior Analysis: Cloud based behavior analysis system detects zero-day malware INSTANTLY.
- Cloud based Whitelisting: Cloud based whitelisting of trusted publisher easily identifies a safe file and vendor
- Game Mode: Suppresses operations that could interfere with a user’s gaming experience such as alerts, virus database updates or scheduled scans.
- Application Control: Provides users with the ability to lockdown their PC so only known good applications can run.
- Automatic updates: Stay current with the latest protection.
- Precise and specific alert system: Warnings specify the level and type of possible threat from each source.
- Easy to configure: Tell the free firewall to scan upon installation and add all current applications to the safe-list.
- Detailed summary screen: Easily access an at-a-glance snapshot of current security settings
- Uncluttered, user-friendly interface: Quickly navigate through the various parts of Firewall protection without getting lost
- Thorough security “wizards”: Preset security settings for simple point-and-click setup
- Exclusive access to Comodo’s “safe-list”: List of over two million known PC-friendly files and apps. Privdes free firewall protection with the knowledge to let safe files and apps run.
- ‘Training Mode’ lets Firewall automatically create ‘allow’ rules: Firewall software learns your trusted programs to minimize alerts
Here is a cool video of the basic features of Comodo Firewall. The video is not for the latest version, but still captures some of the features well.