Internet is like a jungle out there.
You never know, when you have clicked a “loaded” link, visited a malware distributing site or opened a malware attachment. All it takes is just one click, and you have compromised your Web Browser security. You browser homepage might have been changed, you may start to get pop-up ads advertising latest rogue antispyware, your search results may start re-directing you to rogue sites and so on.
Sounds like fiction. No. It is the reality of today’s Internet.
How to Ensure Browser Security
The traditional approach to your Internet and PC Security, has been to install security software like antispyware and antivirus etc. But this is a reactive approach. The basic premise of this approach is to wait for a virus or malware to appear, then identify it and include its signature in the virus database and then expect the user to download the latest software update of the antivirus.
The basic flaw in this approach is that the security software always lags behind the malware and the security of the user is always at a risk till the time the database of his security software is update to remain protected against that malware threat.
There is yet another approach to ensure your browser security.
You can run your web browsers in an protected environment, which does not allow the malware to write anything on your system or modify any of your files. It is like a Sandbox, in which you can play in any manner as you wish, and then rub-off everything.
SandBoxie – Ensure Browser Safety
Sandboxie is one such application, which allows you to run your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.
Benefits of using SandBoxie
- Secure Web Browsing: Running your Web browser under the protection of Sandboxie means that all malicious software downloaded by the browser is trapped in the sandbox and can be discarded trivially.
- Enhanced Privacy: Browsing history, cookies, and cached temporary files collected while Web browsing stay in the sandbox and don’t leak into Windows.
- Secure E-mail: Viruses and other malicious software that might be hiding in your email can’t break out of the sandbox and can’t infect your real system.
- Windows Stays Lean: Prevent wear-and-tear in Windows by installing software into an isolated sandbox.
See the following animation to understand the basic concept of SandBoxie.
You can follow us on Google+.
Browser Security Tools Series
Others Posts in the Series Include...
- GesWall: Perfect Security for Browsers, Emails, Chat, P2P, IRC Clients and More
- SandBoxie Start - Avoid Virus, Surf Web Safely [Browser Security]