Portable Antivirus – Why You may Need them
Internet Security domain is very complex. You can never be sure about your security, even if you are using latest and updated security suites. You need to have a restoration plan ready, in case your computer gets infected.
Besides this, today’s Malware threats are intelligent and the first thing they do on your computer is to block your security software and make cripple their functionality. They may not be able to update their signature files anymore and their GUI is not usable anymore.
In such a situation, you might need an external tool, which is not corrupt, and which can work in stand-alone mode. Just store it in your USB Drive, make it write protected, plug it into your infected computer and run the utility to clean your infected system.
VIPRE Rescue – Useful Command Line Portable Antivirus
VIPRE Rescue is one such tool from well known security vendor Sunbelt. The VIPRE Rescue Program is packaged into a self-extracting executable file (.exe) that prompts the user for an “unpack” or installation location, then starts the scanner and performs a quick scan. The user can start the program either by opening it via windows or from the command line.
The virus definition files are included in the download and are regularly updated. But you may need to download the files every time you want to do a system clean. There is no way to automatic live update for the signature files.
VIPRE Rescue gives you four command line options, enabling the program to perform a boot scan during the next start-up, perform a deep scan, log the events, and disabling the rootkit.
If you are able to boot and use your Windows, then you can explore your removable media on which VIPRE is stored and run it from there. Otherwise, you simply boot in the “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and run the software from the USB.
It is highly effective. And did we mention that it is absolutely FREE also??
You can follow us on Google+.
Portable Antivirus Reviews Series
Others Posts in the Series Include...
- CaSIR - Free Portable Malware Remover and Antivirus
- Portable PC Cleanup, Antivirus Tools - EmsiSoft Emergency Kit Review
- Stinger Portable Antivirus - Virus Scanner from McAfee
- Portable Antivirus - Ultimate List of Best USB Anti Virus
- Norman Malware Cleaner - Useful Portable Antivirus
- Sophos Anti RootKit - Portable Security for Malware Removal
- Free Stand Alone Antivirus - Dr. Web CureIt
- Command Line Portable Antivirus Software - VIPRE PC Rescue
- Portable Antivirus - Best Free Anti-Malware in USB Flash Drives
- Prevent USB Flash Drive Malware Infections by Disabling AutoRun
- Portable Antivirus-How to Remove Malware with Trend Micro SysClean
- Clean Virus and Spyware with A-Squared Emergency USB Stick
- Mx One - Free USB Portable Antivirus for Malware Removal
- ClamWin - Portable Virus Remover for USB Flash Drive Security