Data and File Recovery – 6 Free Tools For Best Results
Lost data and files is a common problem for computer users. And it has a peculiar characteristics of striking when you least expect thisto happen.
Recently, a survey inferred that hardware and system malfunctions are responsible for the highest number of incidences of data loss. Some of the most frequent factors causing data loss are as given in the chart below.
- Hardware or System Malfunctions (44 percent)
- Human Error (32 percent)
- Software Corruption (14 percent)
- Computer Viruses (7 percent)
- Natural Disasters (3 percent)
How to Recover Data and Files in case of Data Loss
The tools and tricks for the data and file recovery will always depend upon the factor responsible for the data loss. However, on common factor which determines the effectiveness of these data recovery tools is the time elapsed and how much work has been done on the disk on which the data was stored since you lost the data.
We have carried a series of posts on some of the freeware tools for the data and file recovery. Here is a snapshot of the tools reviewed alongwith the links to the review.
- Recuva: Recuva is one of the first tools to be considered in case you are attempting to recover your lost data.. It can recover the data or files, which have been accidentally deleted or which have become unusable because of some damaged or formatted disks. Recuva file recovery tool also allows you to recover your MS Word documents, which have not been saved because of sudden crash of MS Word. You can also use Recuva to recover your lost iPod music files from your disk.
- Roadkil’s Unstoppable Copier: Actually it s a bulk file copier utility, which copies the data from a HardDrive or CD onto another one, and in this process, it also attempts to recover the data from bad sectors and files. Roadkil cam recover files from disks with physical damage. It allows you to copy files from disks with problems such as bad sectors, scratches or that just give errors when reading data. The program will attempt to recover every readable piece of a file and put the pieces together.
- CD Recovery Toolbox: CD Recovery Toolbox Free is a data recovery tool, designed to recover files from scratched or otherwise damaged or corrupt CD, DVD, HD DVD and Blu-Ray disks. CD Recovery Toolbox tool was developed for recovering damaged files from different disk types: CD, DVD,HD DVD, Blu-Ray, etc. You can use it to restore information lost as a result of some mechanical damage of the disk (scratches, chips, different spots on thesurface) or as a result of incorrect recording. Thus, the program can recoverdata that was considered lost.
- ADRC Data Recovery Software Tool: ADRC Data Recovery Software Tools contains a collection of DIY data recovery tools that supports a wide variety of drives and file systems. The software incorporates extremely simple GUI with novice users in mind. The software zooms in to do only critical recovery functions with minimum complexity so one could recover the data easily. It gives you full control to undelete files, disk image back up, restore a backup image, copy files from hard disk with bad sectors, disk cloning, backup, edit and restore your boot parameters.
- Glary Undelete: Glary Undelete is a free and easy-to-use yet powerful file undelete solution for FAT and NTFS file systems. It will bring back files emptied from the Recycle Bin, in a DOS window, from Windows Explorer with the SHIFT key held down. It will even recover files that have been deleted by bugs, crashes and viruses!
- SoftPerfect File Recovery: SoftPerfect File Recovery is a free and useful tool to restore accidentally deleted files from hard and floppy disks, USB flash drives, CF and SD cards and other storage media. It supports the popular file systems such as FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS and NTFS5 with compression and encryption. If your important files disappeared and you can’t find them in the recycle bin, try this software product and get the files back to life. Easy to use, no installation is required.
Tip: While we have been telling you about the data recovery tools, have you ever considered that data destruction can also be something important to you. Interested…? Learn more about Data Destruction.