What is Tracking Visitor Information
Tracking the visitor details is a common thing on modern day websites. Minute details of the visitors like IP, location, browser agents, visitor path etc. are recorded. They are mostly fused for getting more information about the visitors’ online behavior on the site and sometimes are also used for displaying advertisements based upon the tracking data.
There is nothing wrong in that, and it is the order of the today’s Internet.
How Visitor Tracking is Done?
Is it Harmful for me as a visitor?
Generally, no. You have to accept that it is the order of today’s online world. However, if you are really concerned about your privacy issues do not really want to disclose slightest details about yourself, then yes, this tracking can reveal a lot of information about you.
Is There any Way to Know who is Tracking me?
The best way to know the tracking services used by a webpage visited by you, is to just look into the source code of the page. It is nothing complex. Just hit Ctrl-U, if you are using Firefox, and take a hard look on the code. or other browsers also, there are similar ways to display the source code of the webpage. But it may be difficult for those who do not have slightest knowledge about the HTML codes in which these websites are programmed.
Ghostery – Firefox Addon to Track Who is Tracking You
For those people, there is a useful Firefox Addon, which does the dirty job for you. It takes a hard look on the source code and identifies the services, which are being used by the website for the tracking of their visitors. It gives the list of those services in the right upper corner of your webpage.
But, since most of the website use some sort of tracking, it soon will become very irritating for a common user. For them, the have provided an icon in the system tray. With a single click you can toggle Ghostery On and Off.
A useful tool for Privacy Paranoids.
You can follow us on Google+.
Firefox Security Addons Series
Others Posts in the Series Include...
- How To Ensure Privacy While Using Search Engines
- Safe Browsing-Change Proxy Settings to Access Blocked Websites
- Scan Links and Online Files with Dr.Web Antivirus Link Checker
- Firefox Private Browsing - Close 'n' Forget
- Anonymous Internet Browsing with Private Browsing Firefox Addon
- Ghostery - Know Who is Tracking You [Firefox Privacy]
- Safe Internet Browsing with WOT
- TrashMail.net | Free Disposable Email Address [Firefox Security Addon]
- HistoryBlock | Delete Selected Websites from Browser History [Firefox Security Addon]
- KeyScrambler - Free Anti Keylogger Software [Firefox Security Addon]
- Prevent Malware and Phishing with Long URL Please [Firefox Security Addon]
- Phishing Detection and Prevention with FormFox [Firefox Security Addon]