With their increasing capacity, capability and convenience, USB Flash Drives are getting popular day by day. The portability and convenience offered by them tempt users to store their data on them and carry it in their pocket. The availability of portable applications, which can be run directly from the USB Flash Drives, without any need for the installation, has also contributed to their popularity.
However, this convenience comes at a cost. It is very easy for you to get it misplaced and loose it. Because of its small size, it is also prone to get stolen. In either case, you as a user, are at a great risk of loosing your valuable data. And in case this data lands in wrong hands, it can cause substantial damage to your privacy and security.
How to Protect Your Data on USB Flash Drives
One way to protect you private and sensitive data on USB and Pen Drives is using encrypted and hidden partitions. There are tools available, which can easily create a hidden partition in your USB Drive, which will be visible only if you enter teh correct password. Other partitions, which are not hidden or encrypted, will be visible to anybody, who uses this drive. This way, you can store your valuable information on the encrypted and hidden virtual partition on the USB Drive and be confident about its safety.
Rohos Mini Drive – A Great Tool for Creating Hidden Partitions in your USB Drives
Rohos Mini Drive creates hidden and encrypted partition on the USB flash drive memory. Rohos Mini Drive program does not create real partition on the USB flash drive. Thus when you insert your USB drive into USB port only one drive letter will appear in Windows. Second (secured) drive will appear only after you active it by entering a password.
The Software doesn’t require Administrator Privileges to open the password protected USB drive partition on a guest computer. It can be run directly from a USB device and once a protected partition is setup it is accessible via a correct password entry only.
While the utility is active, you’ll see a program icon in the system tray. When you want to disconnect the drive, be sure to right-click the icon and disconnect the drive to avoid damaging your files.
Main Features of Rohos Mini Drive
- Creates a virtual encrypted partiton volume (disk) within a USB flash drive free space
- Automatically detects your USB stick config and creates encrypted partition
- Program does not require installation to work with encrypted partiton on a guest computer. You can start it right from USB drive
- Encrypted partition is protected by password
- Encryption is automatic and on-the-fly
- Encryption algorithm: AES 256 bit key lenght. NIST approved.
- Rohos Disk Browser to open encrypted partition without having Admin rights
- Virtual Keyboard – to protect your encrypted disk password from a key logger
- Autorun Folder. Saved program’s/file’s shortcut will automatically start/open up upon disk connection
- The limit of encrypted partition size is 2 GB
Overall a nice utility for the creation of Hidden, Password Protected and Encrypted Partition on your USB Flash Drives.
You can follow us on Google+.