Need of Portable Virus Scanners and Antivirus
Today virus infections and malwares are complex scripts. They do everything to hide themselves from the antivirus and security software and in this process, they try to take control of the entire operating system.
Because of this, sometimes it is not possible to detect and clean an already infected system. Every virus scan from the already installed antivirus utility gives a clean shit, although virus is already present in the system.
In such cases, you might need a second opinion. Second opinion from outside, from a tool, which does not require to be installed on the infected computer but in the form of a portable virus scanner and antivirus, which can be run from say a USB Drive or a CD ROM. You can easily write protect your CD ROM or USB, and the virus on the computer will not be able to affect the portable virus scanner utility.
We have already carried a series of posts on various Free Portable Antivirus programs and you can have a look at them in the end of this post.
Stinger Portable Antivirus – Virus Scanner from McAfee
Yet another portable antivirus cun virus scanner is the Stinger Antivirus, which is developed and provided by the renowned security software vendor McAfee. It is a freeware portable antivirus and you can download it from here.
Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.
There is one important point when you use Stinger. Many people ask, that Stinger has found a virus that it couldn’t repair. Why is this? This is most likely due to Windows System Restore functionality having a lock on the infected file. WindowsME/XP users should disable system restore prior to scanning.
You can follow us on Google+.
Portable Antivirus Reviews Series
Others Posts in the Series Include...
- CaSIR - Free Portable Malware Remover and Antivirus
- Portable PC Cleanup, Antivirus Tools - EmsiSoft Emergency Kit Review
- Stinger Portable Antivirus - Virus Scanner from McAfee
- Portable Antivirus - Ultimate List of Best USB Anti Virus
- Norman Malware Cleaner - Useful Portable Antivirus
- Sophos Anti RootKit - Portable Security for Malware Removal
- Free Stand Alone Antivirus - Dr. Web CureIt
- Command Line Portable Antivirus Software - VIPRE PC Rescue
- Portable Antivirus - Best Free Anti-Malware in USB Flash Drives
- Prevent USB Flash Drive Malware Infections by Disabling AutoRun
- Portable Antivirus-How to Remove Malware with Trend Micro SysClean
- Clean Virus and Spyware with A-Squared Emergency USB Stick
- Mx One - Free USB Portable Antivirus for Malware Removal
- ClamWin - Portable Virus Remover for USB Flash Drive Security