Why You May Need Portable Antivirus Applications:
Present day antivirus and security software operate on post-event basis. First a virus or malware is discovered, then the antivirus database is updated to include its signature, then it is expected that the user will download the antivirus update and after that only, the user is secured against that virus.
But it is often too late. Lots of users do not care to update software regularly and it makes them vulnerable to the security threats.
To further complicate the situation, present day malware often make modifications to the system files and corrupt your security software. They make them useless, block their update mechanisms and in extreme cases make your whole system un-usable. You may not be in a position to even boot up your system.
In such a case, your only solution may to use some Portable Antivirus software, stored on a removable media like USB, Pen Drive or CD ROM, make it write protected and use it to clean your infected system.
What Are Portable Antivirus Software:
Portable Antivirus Software are often stripped down version of their full-featured counterparts. They usually are available free for download, but generally, do not provide you a real-time security for your system. In this sense, they are not a substitute for your usual security software and antivirus, but are used for cleaning an already infected system.
Many of such Portable Antivirus Programs work only against certain specific threats, but they are the most common threats and cover a majority of infections worldwide.
The good part with these portable antiviruses is that you can carry them in your USB stick with you and use them to clean a friend’s computer also. You can save as many of them as you want on your USB and use them one by-one to scan and clean the infected computer, as against their full-featured versions, which can interfere the operation of one-another, if you try to install more than one security software on a system.
Some of them are also useful for providing the security to your removable drive like USB, when it is inserted un-knowingly into an infected computer.
Which are the Best Portable Antivirus Software:
Here we are listing some of the best Portable Antivirus Software available today for download. Click on individual links to know more about them.
- ClamWin: Probably the most popular Portable Antivirus today. It is open-source application and the download file comes without any virus definitions. When you download it and run it for the first time, it then downloads the definitions and updates itself for the big fight.
- Norman Malware Cleaner: Works against some well known malware scripts. You can use this in command line mode, when your Windows GUI has been disabled by the virus present in your system and you can no longer use Windows. It is also suggested that you start your computer in Safe Mode Command Prompt mode for best results with Norman Malware Cleaner.
- Sophos Anti RootKit: Portable Anti Rootkit application, which is available for free download from the website of reputed security vendor Sophos. Sophos Anti-Rootkit provides an extra layer of protection, by safely and reliably detecting and removing any rootkit that might already have hidden itself on your system.
- Dr. Web CureIt: Easy to use FREE curing utility to clean your computer infected with viruses and various unwanted codes by the Dr.Web Anti-virus updated once or several times an hour. Automatically detects the language of the OS it is installed to and sets the scanner interface accordingly
- VIPRE PC Rescue: From well known security vendor Sunbelt. The VIPRE Rescue Program is packaged into a self-extracting executable file (.exe) that prompts the user for an “unpack” or installation location, then starts the scanner and performs a quick scan. The user can start the program either by opening it via windows or from the command line.
- Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool: A useful Portable Antivirus, which can be used in such a case. You can download it and install onto your USB Flash Drive. Make sure to use the latest version, when try to clean an infected computer. Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool is not capable for real-time protection of your computer.
- Trend Micro SysClea:A stand-alone fix package that incorporates the Trend Micro VSAPI Malware and Spyware scanning engines as well as the Trend Micro Damage Cleanup Engine and Template.
- Mx One: designed to protect the removable storage devices like USB sticks (also known as pendrives), iPod ™, mp3, mp4, memoirs M2, SD, microSD, and many more devices in an efficient and completely free.
- A-Squared Emergency USB Stick: It contains two useful programs which can be used to scan and clean an infected computer quickly without requiring software installation: a-squared Free: With a-squared Free you have got the powerful a-squared Scanner including graphical user interface. Search the infected PC for Trojans, Spyware, Adware, Worms, Dialers, Keyloggers and other malign programs. a-squared Command line Scanner: This scanner contains the same functionality as a-squared Free but without a graphical user interface. The commandline tool is made for professional users and can be used perfectly for batch jobs.
- CaSIR: CaSIR is the application, which has the capability to remove some of the most common virus infections from your computer. It is specially developed to work on these common virus infections and it knows how they affect your computer. It just doesn’t go on searching your computer for all sorts of virus infections. But instead it just looks for these given viruses and removes them in seconds.
Just download these portable utilities and update them before use on an infected computer.
You can follow us on Google+.
Portable Antivirus Reviews Series
Others Posts in the Series Include...
- CaSIR - Free Portable Malware Remover and Antivirus
- Portable PC Cleanup, Antivirus Tools - EmsiSoft Emergency Kit Review
- Stinger Portable Antivirus - Virus Scanner from McAfee
- Portable Antivirus - Ultimate List of Best USB Anti Virus
- Norman Malware Cleaner - Useful Portable Antivirus
- Sophos Anti RootKit - Portable Security for Malware Removal
- Free Stand Alone Antivirus - Dr. Web CureIt
- Command Line Portable Antivirus Software - VIPRE PC Rescue
- Portable Antivirus - Best Free Anti-Malware in USB Flash Drives
- Prevent USB Flash Drive Malware Infections by Disabling AutoRun
- Portable Antivirus-How to Remove Malware with Trend Micro SysClean
- Clean Virus and Spyware with A-Squared Emergency USB Stick
- Mx One - Free USB Portable Antivirus for Malware Removal
- ClamWin - Portable Virus Remover for USB Flash Drive Security